Sunday, February 26, 2012

Reach for the Sky



My friend Mike sent a video clip my way recently. It showed footage of the John Glenn Mercury rocket launch which took place 50 years ago this past week. As Mike commented, it is amazing what we, as a nation, were able to accomplish 50 years ago. Likewise, it is sad to realize how little we have to evoke our collective pride and enthusiasm today.

I remember John Glenn's achievement for the hours of play it provided, running around our backyard in Portland, arms out making jet and rocket noises. “I’m John Glenn.” “No. I’m John Glenn! You’re Alan Sheperd.” "I'm Scott Carpenter!" Those astronauts and their space missions, their X-15 rocket planes, their journeys through the sound barrier, those we the heroes and events that brought science fiction to life. Although the Russians had been first into space, with the accomplishments of John Glenn and company we could rest assured we would not have to endure humiliation at the hands of those pinko Commies.

Incredibly, it was only 7 years later that we put a man on the moon. With that feat it seemed the United States had absolutely, without question, conquered the modern world. With that feat it seemed that giant Saturn rocket had lifted all limits on just what we could accomplish as humans and, more importantly, as Americans.

From the perspective of all these years later it’s somewhat disheartening to see just what we haven’t accomplished. Of all the good and great technology mothered by the space program I’m at a loss to explain exactly why we haven’t been able to do more. Electronics today, from computers to cell phones, seem to have been commandeered by commercial interests to provide a constant stream of distractions for an emerging generation. Millions of people are hooked up playing video games. Millions of people are distracted with texting an enormous volume of inane chatter. Millions of people are distracted from real endeavors as they mindlessly surf the internet in search of even more distractions. We are witnessing the rise of an entire generation that is consumed with remote and sterile socializing and entertainment. This end seems rather far removed from the hopes and wonder of those accomplishments between 1962 and 1969. 

From my perspective it's a problem: I just can’t be sure what will inspire my son to run around outside and extend his wings, literally and figuratively. At this point I hope he just continues to run around outside and play rather than sit inside like a mole with an iPad or cell phone. While I like to think I set a pretty good example for my own children,  I have to wonder: Who will be the next John Glenn, the person who will inspire us a nation, our sons and our daughters, to achieve great things?

No comments:

Post a Comment