Friday, February 17, 2012

Happy Birthday Bobo



In a  departure from protocol, I'm using this forum to give a shout out to my old friend Neal on his birthday. I'm getting older and so I hope I'm remembering this right because I'm pretty sure this is his birthday and, if not, I'm waisting precious time when I have so many other really important things to say in this space.

Neal and I were transplanted to Los Angeles within about a year of each other and met in 3rd grade. I had  Mrs. Johnston's class and I think he did as well. (Who ever thought of throwing a t into that name?) We fought bugs together working in Panama, wrestled together professionally, ogled at Mrs. Smith's hot bod, and had all manner of other adventures throughout our academic careers at Warner Avenue School. Geographically we parted ways after Emerson Jr. High but somehow, although we currently are in contact only a couple of times a year, somehow we remain good friends.  Funny how a person can grow up in a city the size of Los Angeles and preserve childhood friendships for over 45 years.

He is among the luckiest guys I know. He married well and enjoys a relationship that has held together for over 30 years. In spite of the crazy world in which we live he has managed to raise 2 exceptional kids-- kids with great humor, intelligence and enthusiasm for life-- no small task. Come to think of it, maybe it's Lori I'm writing about!

So, my friend, for the many years of laughs and smiles-- often at my expense; for the many meals shared-- from the Apple Pan to Chasen's; for the many meals destroyed in fits of outrageous humor-- from the Tail 'O the Whale to the Mandarin in San Francisco (and I'll cut the list short there)-- for all the above, I thank you.

So here's a Happy Birthday wish to a friend who always makes me smile and a wish for many more.

p.s. It's nice that when I Google his image I don't get anything from mugshots.com.

1 comment: