Monday, August 15, 2011

Pack Your Chute (and a Necklace of Garlic)

Sometimes my wife thinks I'm becoming a grumpy old man.  Apparently there are too many days when I come home from the office and can't stop talking about some of the people I see.  Before I go any further let me say: Most of the people I see are just really nice regular people with legitimate complaints.  The problem is, in this community, in this economy, in this era of American life, there is a rapidly growing number of people who are just plain bored, intellectually compromised, morally bankrupt and/or void of any sense of ethics or communal responsibility.  They seem to be just plain uninterested and unable. Not disabled. Unable. It's simultaneously sad and maddening and leaves me wondering just how we got here, whether we have the potential to change course, or whether we should just walk away and move to Canada or New Zealand or I don't know where. Parkview? On days like that I rant.

It's not just here in small town Michigan.  Case in point:  In a recent report Houston Police arrested a 19 year-old after attacking a woman: growling, hissing, and biting her. By way of explanation he claimed he's a vampire.  Seriously.  And here too: I have a patient who has had her canines sharpened to needle like points because she wants to look like a vampire.  Any guy thinking about a French kiss or oral sex had better have at least 2 units of packed cells and a surgeon on standby. With all the crap going on in this country and the world at large, this is where we're at? Crazy or just bored beyond reality?

With the current economic quagmire, the legislature, the President, and the presidential hopefuls are all weighing in and the talk is jobs.  Jobs?  What jobs would those be and for whom?  I know of a couple vampires looking.

As for me, I think it may be time to grab a bunch of garlic, pack my chute, and jump.  Or maybe just tune in and sign on with the late great Johnny Cash on the subject of crazy.


http://youtu.be/Tk2VECNx5LQ





No comments:

Post a Comment