Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Facts of Life

The other night I had to have that conversation with my daughter.  She's 19, doing well at a Big Ten university, been living away from home for over a year.  But then she makes a comment and I realize it's time and the ball is in my court-- we need to have a talk.

So often in this media infused society where youth and sex and wealth and good looks are neatly packaged and distributed to the doorstep of every man, woman, teen, and child, one assumes every 19 year old already knows everything there is to know.  She has a boyfriend and they spend weekends together for crissakes.  She should know everything by now.

Apparently, not so.  Last night she was getting a little self absorbed about her need to look after her ocular health.  Among the reasons cited?  Her Mom has eye disease. S'that so? Ya, she's had to wear glasses for the past year or two in order to read.  What?!

Eye disease?  That, dear young daughter of mine, is AGING.  Presbyopia, look it up. For similar reasons I talk louder now than I did 10 years ago; and I have trouble hearing you when you address me with the speed of machine gun; and I don't stay up until 2AM on the weekends.

I hate to get explicit with her, she's still just a child in so many ways.  But, I have no choice:  AGING IS A NORMAL PROCESS NOT A DISEASE!
Oh, by the way, you've already been infected.

1 comment:

  1. I feel so diseased now. I've been wearing glasses since 18. Is there any hope for me?

    ReplyDelete