Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine



I was at a function the other night. It was a formal affair, kind of prom for grown-ups in a small town in Michigan. I'm happy to report I was able to dance (like an old white man) for hours and report no subsequent aches or pains. (I'm not too proud to admit, however, that ever since "When Harry Met Sally" I cannot dance without, at some point, having to catch myself doing the "white man's overbite.")

While there I saw at least a couple of guys my age. Guys I know. Single guys. Divorced. Grown kids.  Pretty well off. And they were there with dates. Also women I knew, also with grown kids and ex-spouses. They all appeared to be having a reasonably good time. Good for them. But they all had that look of, well, dating. Looking over at my "date," I realized I'm one lucky dog.

Looks matter to some degree, for sure. But it's really about companionship, confidence, trust, caring, friendship, and humor. It's about happy to end the day next to you and happier still to start the next one in that same spot. It's not about a moment, an event, a date. It's about a life: The up, down, right, left, sometimes sideways path of life. It's an incredible gift to spend that life, even a part of that life, with a partner who is as happy to see you as you are to see them, a partner who is happy to be with you no matter the circumstance, who indulges you and also keeps watch. Anyone willing to give such an amazing and complex gift is a Valentine worth treasuring for all time.

I asked several people in the OR the other day what they'll be getting their spouses for Valentine's Day. Most said they just have their kids give the mom or dad a card or flowers or candy. Their kids, not them. Cute, but kind of disappointing.

I hope you'll be getting your Valentine something today-- if you're lucky enough to have one. Maybe just one of those little candy hearts that says, "Be Mine." That, and a note that says, "Lucky me."

1 comment: