Monday, February 18, 2013

Those Darn Food Allergies



I about fell off my chair the other evening at the dinner table. We were sitting there enjoying our kid correct meal of tacos, chips and salsa when all of a sudden 5 (and a half) year-old Evan says, "Gluten Free." "The chips are gluten free, Dad." This he says, pointing at the bag and its unique identifier for GF foods.

Such a precious moment. I remember back to when I first uttered the words "gluten free." Thinking back I must have only been, I don't know, 50?

I don't know where it all comes from but suddenly the whole world is allergic. I'm not opposed to it. I'm not refuting it. I'm just commenting. Suddenly peanuts, latex, gluten-- these allergies make lactose intolerance seem, well, downright petty.

I'm waiting for the next one though. We're just not quite there yet. I'm waiting for that breakthrough, that moment, that label on the bag, box, or carton, that identifies a product as containing the ingredient that makes men and women gain, and unable to lose, weight after the age of forty. It just simply has got to be an allergy. I'm certain it's not a habit. It's not a life choice. It's an allergy.

No comments:

Post a Comment