Thursday, January 24, 2013

How It's Supposed To Be




A night away from home. A couple times each year I volunteer to go visit another doc's practice, examine a sampling of his charts, and watch him do a couple of surgeries as part of the board certification process. It's an antiquated process still required by my Academy but it's one that does still have usefulness. If nothing else it helps keep me on my toes.

Almost always doing a board exam requires a night in a hotel and that can mean anything from a 4 star to a 1 star. As much as one might think how nice it is to call a time out mid-week, no dog, no interruptions, no obligations for one whole evening and one whole night, it sucks. Call it aging, call it domestic bliss, or call it co-dependence, but I have gotten to the point where I hate being on the road away from the family. Turns out I think I'd rather steer around them then be without them.

The dog? Okay. I don't miss taking the dog out at 6:30 AM in the 7 degree darkness, so much. But the rest of it I do better with than without. And I think, after all, that's exactly how it's supposed to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment