Sunday, January 13, 2013

Dream World

Do Not Disturb


Years ago I took care of a little 103 year old woman with a broken hip. She was a retired teacher and still lived alone in her own house. She was so bright and alert it was amazing.

A day or so after surgery I went in to check on her. Asking how she was doing she replied she was doing wonderfully. She had been to a Tigers baseball game the evening before. I was crushed to hear this seeming delusion and my face fell. She paused, smiled, and then said, "aren't dreams wonderful?"

I recalled this today when I was suddenly awakened from a deep sleep by a big white fur-ball and a five year old. Just when I was enjoying a visit with my brother in New York. Just when I was getting a tour of his cool studio space in an ancient primitive Manhattan garage.  Just when we were about to go to lunch.

I'm not informed on the Freudian interpretation of dreams. But I am informed on the value of a really good dream and uninterrupted sleep. On that count, I'm starting off my Sunday seriously shortchanged and in a therapeutically bad place! Time for a nap!!

1 comment:

  1. Dream interruption, especially wonderfully dreams, should be outlawed. Let's start a movement . Who's with me?

    ReplyDelete