Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Starting Off At The Stove



For New Year's Eve I thought we would go southern. We had traditional Hoppin' John, a dish made with black eyed peas to bring good luck in the New Year. I've been making it for quite a few years and, I have to admit, with variable results. I thought a big 4 layer coconut white cake would be just the right dessert, too. Another southern tradition, or so I read.

As it turns out, the big cake is just a stack of goo which does not allow one to look away, for even a moment, from the mountain of calories being ingested. That and the flavor is just okay-- certainly not what I would call worth the caloric cost of indulgence. Let me put it this way: The crappy photo does it justice.

In the balance, the year is off to a neutral start, although starting off at the stove is never a bad start to any day. Or year. I guess there's a lesson here, the parable of Hoppin' John and Coconut Cake: Always hope for the best and remember that looks can be deceiving.

Good luck, stay smart, and good eating in 2013!


No comments:

Post a Comment