Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Treasure Chest



I got the news the other evening that one of my uncles had passed away. He was elderly and was the sole remaining member of my father's generation and family, a brother-in-law. His passing invoked many recollections, however, as he was a colorful member of a colorful family. He was the kind of uncle who looked for a good time and felt it was his duty to introduce you to the same.

In all of this I recall an old acquaintance who always told me how her grandmother had instructed her as a little girl to spend time making rich memories. You can lose wealth, you can lose your freedom, you can lose family. Life can serve up all manner of traps and obstacles. Change is constant. But your memories are yours to keep. They're portable and as colorful as you care to create.

I'm fortunate to have come from a family where the stuff of memories was provided from a very early age. I'm fortunate to have lived a life that is filled with many, many rich and vibrant memories-- some a little more shiny than others, almost all worth keeping.

With my own children I always try to think about the memory bank they are developing. I hope I am doing a good job of providing the stuff and exposure for the creation of great and lasting memories. The great thing about creating great memories is that it's almost never too late to get started, pay attention, and make your memories.

Almost never too late. That's a cautionary statement. Not a reason to delay.

No comments:

Post a Comment