Monday, November 19, 2012

The One




I was out to breakfast with an old friend the other morning. We’re of that age where we start to learn of the passing of some of our early mentors. He said he would be attending a funeral that weekend for a woman who, as a teacher, had changed his life forever. He went on to recall for us how she had intervened and not only set him on his life course to success and accomplishment, but he really shuddered to think where he might have ended up without her interest and efforts.

Once again, I had to think of my own life and how, even given all the advantage and good fortune from birth, there are still individuals who have stood along the path I’ve travelled. I don’t know that I can say there has been one like my friend had saluted. But several have been there.  Still there? I’m not sure.  Maybe that’s a perspective one only gains in retrospect but I'm inclined to think so.

But, for now, I thank my friend for the reminder to take the long look, be mindful of the one, the few, the many who have been there to push, pull, nudge, or do whatever was needed to keep me moving in the right direction. I think it’s an important part of remaining passionate and compassionate in my own life. And, too, it’s a reminder to thank those who deserve our acknowledgement before it’s too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment