Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Four More Years



I carpooled to a class last night with one of my partners. He and I are of a similar heart but differing political bents. We're smart enough to avoid direct challenges to one another's politics. What we could agree on was the process at hand, at that hour, on our drive home last night. We could agree on this: In this day and age, as incredible as it seems in so many other corners of this planet, we decide the leadership of this country, in a hotly contested competition involving billions of dollars, in a national debate filled with the passion, anger, fear, and enthusiasm of closely held beliefs, without so much as a shot being fired. No riots, no bombs, no prisoners, no beatings. And come this morning, we return to the very lives we cherish. All in one piece. By and large, business as usual.

That said, I went to bed last night early. I just don't have the constitution for suspense on the magnitude of presidential election results. So, getting up this morning I opened the news with trepidation-- and great relief. This morning I am happy for a national endorsement of the spirit of charity, the spirit of tolerance, the spirit to embrace options over restrictions, choice over mandates. I am happy for all those with little who hope for much, the excluded who hope for inclusion, the many who struggle and hope for calm.

No one person can make it all happen. But I hope, along with many others, that one person can inspire. That one person can motivate. That one person can steer this country in a direction that keeps us on a course of great humanity, that continues to inspire us to caring, to remain committed to the concern for others-- all others. For four more years!


No comments:

Post a Comment