Thursday, November 15, 2012

Deer Season



Today Michiganderss will awaken to the sound of gunfire. The sun will peek over the horizon and, at least from my house, you will be able to hear the pop, pop, pop of rifle fire as a very large population of hunters begins the firearm season in pursuit of a deer head on the wall and a freezer full of venison.

I'm not a hunter but I appreciate the service hunters perform. In my opinion, deer are to Michigan what pigeons are to Chicago: Just another form of rodent. In our case, big, overgrown, car bashing rodents.  I know. I got personal with one just the other evening.

This time of year the deer become very "active," as they say. In the half hour prior to sunrise and after sunset they are on the move, looking for love. The young man I met the other evening appeared to be on the run from trouble. Sure, I've seen deer crossing roads before but this guy was in a panic. And, when he slammed into the side of my car as I travelled along that highway, his eyes popped open wide in a look that said more about getting caught than getting killed. Yeah. I'm pretty sure the guy was running from trouble; caught getting too friendly, too close, too intimate with another buck's doe. Trust me on this: I know the look. After he tumbled across the road and into the field he snapped right back up and continued to run. Further proof of nefarious activity. I hope he learned his lesson. I was a slow learner myself but it didn't take being hit by a car.

As for the car, it's fine. He wiped a little dirt off the side but I can always replace that without an insurance claim.

No comments:

Post a Comment