Thursday, April 5, 2012

Work



I'm not sure what to make of unemployment figures but I'm fairly certain they underestimate the problem. Depending on which political candidate or media outlet you subscribe to, things are either getting better or everybody is looking for work. Everybody agrees a few more people are finding work, but, basically, "good" jobs remain scarce. With a daughter in college and a son with a long way to go I think about things like employment. I also think about things like the value of an education.

It seems there are two types of education in the US today-- vocational and the traditional 4 year degree. With the former, one attends any number of schools that have sprung up and stand ready to provide expertise in everything from diesel mechanic to nursing or other medical/technical related work. I guess if one is using a traditional 4 year college degree as a stepping stone to professional school then, that too, can be viewed as a purely vocational endeavor. The highbrow perspective on a 4 year college experience is that, regardless of where you end up, you will be a more "complete" individual, capable of sound judgement and creative problem solving. Education first, employment second. Again, I guess I've been thinking about all this lately because I have a couple of kids and hope they will one day be able to find work and support themselves and contribute to society.

A couple of weeks ago Ev and I were watching the guys at the Car Wash Carousel in Phoenix. They work very hard, work long hours, do an excellent job, and there does not seem to be any visible attitude of discontent. Watching that process and both admiring and feeling grateful for the work they do, I thought, this is work. And then I had to think, would this be okay for my kid? 

Two ideals parents frequently teach to their kids are: 1.)  choose happiness over money and 2.) you can be whatever you want to be. So many people today seem to judge work based on some sort of celebrity yardstick. It's better to be a doctor than a gardener. It's better to be an investment guy than a car wash guy. It's better to be teacher than a waiter. It's better to be miserable and make a lot of money than be happy on an hourly wage. Like everything else, we've grown to respect money and not work, income and not the person, stuff and not substance.

All things considered, I would still abide by those two ideals, happiness and setting one's sights where your heart leads you. At the same time I also think a person should be inspired to use their talents wisely and to the best of their ability. That said, happiness trumps all.

Now, if we could only get a handle on happiness. In the meantime, if you're ever in Phoenix with a dirty car...

No comments:

Post a Comment