Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Unwelcome Guests



I'm one of probably 15 or 16 people in the lower part of Michigan who likes the snow. When we get to late fall and the cold wind starts to blow those big dark clouds in, I feel a new energy. And that first real snowfall really brings the kid out along with that adult who loves a blazing fire in the fireplace.

But all that is November and December. Leaving the hospital Tuesday morning it took me a second to figure it out. White flakes, just one here or there, messing with my visual field. And then one stuck on my eyelashes and melted. Snowflakes.

I've seen big snow storms in April before. But this year we had an early and very warm spring so we have Tulips, and trees in full blossom. Lawns have been mowed and groomed. While it never amounted to more than an on and off half-hearted flurry, seeing the snow fly for a couple of hours Tuesday held no delight. Like trying to wind down a house party and have a last few straggler guests show up just as you're starting to pick up: It's just not fun at that point.

Hopefully that was our last hurrah. I think pretty much everyone in the state is done with it and ready to reset the stage. Then again, this is Michigan. I'll keep a stack of firewood handy for a few more weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment