Friday, September 2, 2011

Last Call for White

Arriving faster than a speeding bullet, it's Labor Day weekend.  For those of us who still recall and attempt to adhere to archaic protocols, this would be last call for those white loafers, slacks, and matching white belt; white pumps and matching white purse.

In his 60's my dad had white double knit slacks which he liked to pair with matched white patent belt and shoes. Quite the dandy in summer attire. It had this kind of Fat Elvis reference although, if my dad was a fan, he was a closet fan.

My mother was a stickler for protocol.  Publicly I found it bothersome while privately I thought it was amazing and cool all the rules she knew and kept in mind: how to set a table, how to use a soup spoon, to which side a man walks when accompanying a woman down the street, who stands and who sits when shaking hands. Our mother equipped us with the manners to meet, greet, and eat anywhere.

It's an odd thought in this era in which an unfamiliarity with manners, rudeness, and being sloppy appear to hold sway. I like to think the fall of social protocols and neatness has more to do with ignorance than anything else but I'm not sure.  (Of course, as I write this I'm sitting here in boxers and tee-shirt with my bed head unattended.  But, mother don't worry, I won't go to out breakfast like this. ) Perhaps the fall of manners and protocols has more to do with social revolution.  Either way, as much as I think many of the old conventions deserve to fall by the wayside, I think their wholesale clearance is a loss. Whenever people visit a town, hotel, restaurant, you name it, and they are treated well, and they are treated politely, and the people are dressed well-- the comments are uniformly positive.  People like to be treated politely and they most often like seeing nicely dressed people.  Bottom line: People who care about their appearance and concern themselves with manners aren't necessarily crazy, they're showing concern for others.

Anyway, a little preachy for a holiday weekend.  Throw on some white and have a good weekend. But, come Tuesday, if my mom catches you in white loafers.....


1 comment:

  1. My sons will be heartbroken when I inform them that they can't wear their white belts and white shoes at the family b-b-q on Monday. I'm going to blame you, if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete