Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Back to School

We went south to Ann Arbor this past weekend. Did not get to the Big House, as they call the stadium there at U of M, but did get to see my daughter's new digs. She and two roommates have this apartment that is fully furnished and has, get this, three bedrooms, three bathrooms and a washer and dryer. I should have been so lucky. But it's a beautiful apartment immediately adjacent to the campus and safe as can be.  All of that and it's clean, too. I'll be curious to see how clean it remains by, say, February.

Anyway, we met, took the tour, and then we all went out for breakfast. After that we dropped her off and visited in the parking area with her, her one roommate, and her boyfriend. It was a beautiful sunny early fall day and an odd moment.  Looking around there was a steady stream of students stepping into the light of day, all of whom appeared to be heading out to study. It would have been nice to have stayed and visited for a while but we had things to do, she had things to do, and I felt like I was trespassing.

Visiting a university brings back a lot of memories and good ones at that. But I realized fairly quickly: this is not my country, these are not my people. From my perspective, the university is a place and culture for those fortunate people enrolled. It's their time and their place and can only be shared by those who share that common experience. I didn't feel old, just out of place. Like showing up to a function in black tie and only then discovering the invitation stated casual dress. Nonetheless, I had a good time at the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment