Friday, September 9, 2011

Belly Problem Solved

Over the recent holiday weekend I found myself parked in front of the tube, sipping coffee, and looking at the morning shows. GMA and then Rachel Ray. Years ago when I was single and drank too much I thought Rachel Ray was cute. That's over. Now she drives me crazy, just another member of the Food Network mafia. All smiles and "yummies."

Monday's show included Mario Batali, himself a member of that same mafia but a member I still like. In the course of his visit he had occasion to see and comment on some old photos of himself as a child and as a young man.  He pushed out his belly and commented on how he still has that same physique.

A few weeks ago, as I was brushing Evan's teeth, he asked me, "Dad, why is your belly so big?"  After removing the toothbrush from his epiglotis I answered, "Because I eat too much."  Now I'm going to spare the mobile upload here but I really don't think I qualify as having a "big" belly.  Bigger than at 23? Yes.  Too big to go topless at the pool? No. Too white? Yes. But not too big.

A couple weeks later little Dennis the Menace was standing in my bathroom while I was brushing my teeth.  He offered this observation: "Dad. You know why you're belly's so big? It's because you don't dance enough."  I don't know where the hell that came from but it makes sense to me.  Mario, take note.

No comments:

Post a Comment