Monday, April 15, 2013

Genius



A friend of mine recently wrote about her seemingly hereditary struggles to excel in certain subjects at school. Specifically, she indicated that the emphasis in her household was on passing and making an effort, both of which I fully endorse. Not passing is absolutely no fun. Not trying is a whole other problem and certainly no fun for a parent to watch.

The comment I made to her was that genius should be measured in terms of happiness and humor, not grades and accomplishments. I'll stick by that, too. But then, while I was talking with another friend this weekend we started talking about non-starter/struggling male offspring of doctors. I know more than a few. I haven't really looked, so I can't really say, but it just strikes me that there are a disproportionate number of doctors' sons who fail to launch on a personal level. And, too, maybe it's not docs but, rather, the sons of so-called successful dads.

The girls just don't seem to founder to the same degree and my guess is that has to do with both socialization and biology. Females are evolved and socialized to survive, nurture, and promote survival. Boys, by contrast, to impregnate. (If humans follow a model I'd say the page was taken from lions.)

Unfortunately, with a five-year old at home, I figure I've got about 15 years to find out what I'm doing right or wrong. In the meantime I'll try to stay focused on my five-year old son and try to keep foremost in mind that it is happiness and good humor we're all after.

Then again, in as much as I'll be retired by the time he finishes high school, productive would be good as well. What with where Social Security is headed I could use a little monetary support and a place to live in about another twenty years. (No, wait! I've got a daughter!)

In the meantime I'm stickin' to the premise that pure genius is reflected in a lifetime of happiness abd good humor. Hey! I guess that makes me a freakin' genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment