Friday, April 5, 2013

Deli-icious



I read this story the other morning. I had to. When I see a story about deli I smell pastrami and lox and my mouth starts to water. Then I read where they feature a "grilled eggplant Rueben." Rather than walking out right then and there I stayed with the article all the way through the soup course of bone marrow matzoh balls in a ginger infused broth.

The problem for me is, well actually, two problems for me are, one, I'm a traditional kinda guy and two, I don't live where great deli is an easily accessible option. So, doing the math, when I have access to deli I don't want to try an inventive twist on a tradition bagel with lox. I want the real deal. I'm willing to go with reduced fat cream cheese but otherwise, just bring me the plate with the lox, the schmear, the capers, onion, chopped egg, and tomato. It's not rocket science, why make it complicated?

I've been eating meatless for about 3 years now and I must say, I feel better. But I've also learned that when it comes to certain foods, and deli is certainly one of them, there is no substitute for the real thing. If I'm gonna fall off the wagon, I'm going for the gusto-- and hold the egg plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment