Sunday, June 19, 2011

Memories Of My (mother) Father

I did dishes after dinner the other evening.  I found myself carefully washing out a large styrofoam tub and its lid we had brought home from the Chinese restaurant the day before. I'm thinking, "why waste a perfectly good container with a well fitting lid when all it would do otherwise is occupy space in a landfill for the next 3 to 4 thousand years?  This will be good for something."  And then it struck me:  This is exactly the type of thing my mother would do that drove me crazy as a kid.

If you had opened our refrigerator in 1968 you would have found all manner of containers enjoying a second, third, or fourth incarnation.  Cottage cheese?  Not on your life.  That would be left-over mashed potatoes.  See?  Look at the masking tape label.  And that jar? Lemonade? No. That would be potato water.  And that coffee can?  Bacon grease.

Here I am 40+ years later doing pretty much the same thing.  I have a cupboard full of empty cottage cheese and sour cream containers awaiting the call to return to service. My wife is tolerant but I'm dumbstruck:  How does one end up doing the very things they most despised in a parent's behavior?  With respect to mom there are a few traits I'd like to divorce.

But today is Father's Day.  For learning kindness, caring about the welfare of others and for knowing concern, I thank my dad.  For a sense of style and believing in the importance of appearance when meeting with those who come to me for help, I thank my Dad.  For the love of trains, planes and automobiles, it's Dad. But to be clear, and for the record, I do not ever foresee a time when I'll be strolling about in a red velour jumpsuit. Smoking a pipe?  Well, maybe.  But not any time soon. And never while using the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment