Friday, June 17, 2011

Innie vs. Outie

I've had a busy week at work and I'm on call now through the weekend.  This afternoon I was done early.  Being tired and not knowing what the weekend holds in store all I wanted to do was lie around and rest on the couch. That, unfortunately, is the problem.  I lie here and I see those big white clouds crossing the blue sky and I feel guilty for not being out there.  I should be walking/running/riding my bike instead of laying around here indoors. It drives my wife and little son crazy how I could prefer indoor inactivities to out.

People are surprised when I say I don't care for daylight savings time and summer weather.  I enjoy a bike ride occasionally, and I usually walk back and forth to the hospital, but basically I'm an inside kindaguy. It's only late spring but the temperatures are well into the 70's and 80's and it really is beautiful outside. Here in Michigan we only get 3, maybe 4, months of hospitable weather and people like to squeeze every last drop of daylight out of the day when it's like this.

Perhaps I need to move my practice to Iceland or Norway, somewhere dark and cool and overcast.  That way I can stay inside and write and draw and otherwise waste my time with a conscience as clear as the blue Michigan summer sky.  Only I'd get bored pretty quick: I'd be living there alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment