Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Chemistry of Coffee

If you study chemistry at the college level there are two things you should definitely come away with: an understanding of the importance of accuracy and the ability to measure with precision.  I have two years of college chemistry under my belt.  It's been 34 years or so but I like to think it's still in there.

Funny, though, how just the smallest things can really shake one's self-confidence. Take, for instance, making coffee.  It's simple: One scoop for every cup.  Or is it?  Is that one tablespoon or one teaspoon?  Is that a 6 ounce cup or one of the 10 to 12 ounce cups used more frequently these days? And those little measuring scoops you buy-- you can't convince me they're all the same volume. Yet, in spite of all those significant question marks I forge ahead and make coffee on the weekends,

If this were organic chemistry and my wife were good ol' Dr. Hudak I'm not sure I would still be going on to medical school.  But I take comfort in the uncontrolled variables above.  It's not me.  I have the training. I remember the rules.  I kinda measure. No. It's not me, it's the equipment!

No comments:

Post a Comment