Friday, March 28, 2014

The Chili Weather Continues




Okay. I think it is pretty safe to say that, as of today, March 27th, nobody in the state of Michigan is feeling good about seeing snowfall. No one but me.

Over the years people have always spoken of the "old days," with snow up to the window sills and rooftops. This year we've had that. The "old days," where if you walked more than 50 yards your face would freeze solid. This year we've had that. The "old days," where you weren't through with snow until well into April. This year we're making a serious effort in that direction. And all this snow and cold does have it's serious disadvantages. The roads are so fractured and potholed I don't know if they'll ever be right. Furnaces can be heard wheezing and grimacing as they fire up once again on a cycle that has been repeated every 20 minutes of every day for the last 4 months. And cabin fever is so severe and epidemic that kids aren't even antsy anymore-- they're just sitting, catatonic, staring at their hands and the floor.

Me? So far I'm actually okay with all this snow and cold, even as I look out at my just-washed truck, returned from the dealer after an oil change, all red and shiny with snowflakes drifting by, kissing its windows and sills. And the reason I'm okay with all this is tortilla soup-- or in this case, tortilla chili. Chili, whether tortilla or otherwise, is a cold whether menu item. Sitting and having a bowl of chili on an 80 degree day just doesn't sound good or make sense. (A nice thin tortilla soup, sitting poolside at a certain pink hotel on Sunset Boulevard, sure. But not a hearty chili.) So, for now I'm good. I have my hearty vegetarian tortilla chili/soup and I'm happy to watch the snowflakes fall.

Note to weather gods: I've only made enough for a couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment