Monday, August 4, 2014

First Day of School

First Day in OR


Remember all those "first day" photos? First day of Kindergarten. First Grade. The ritual kind of peters out after first grade, it seems. It falls to graduation photos-- daycare, kindergarten, high school, college. Last night I wish I'd had the camera at the ready: I went to dinner with my daughter last night because today is her first day of medical school. I won't be there to see her off, to pack her lunch, to give her a hug, a kiss, and a "good luck" wish as she leaves.

It amazes me to think of the ground she's traveled and where she's at today. I started that journey 34 years ago and it's passed in the blink of an eye.  When I look back at the road she's travelled, I realize she has done well. It's me, it's her mom, but mostly, it's her.

Before leaving her last night, I told both Kels and her roommate: pay attention. This is a privilege, an honor, an opportunity most will never have-- and the responsibility that comes with it is even greater. As with every other instruction you give your child-- look both ways before crossing, always fasten their seatbelt, wear a helmet, listen well, moderation-- one can only hope they hear you and remember your words, taking them to heart and understanding your meaning. That said, I wished her good luck and gave her a kiss and a hug goodbye.

My daughter, the doctor.


No comments:

Post a Comment