Saturday, June 15, 2013

Aged Related Anxiety



I must be aging poorly. Isn't it supposed to be that, the older you get, the more experience you acquire, the more you know, the older your kids get, the less you worry. So what's up?

I'm a pretty busy guy these days and, frankly, miss writing this blog. I realize a good portion of the time it may not offer all that much in the way of depth or insight but it sure offers a good safety valve for me. My current responsibilities find me writing almost every day, things like long letters to members of the medical staff, consultants, and administrators. And, too, I've had to make a speech or two in the past few weeks (ah, ya shoulda outta been there!). But with all that, I have a fairly steady volume of things to concern me, worry about, and keep me up at night and I miss my safety valve.

So with all that, last night my cell phone rings at 2:20AM. First, I almost never keep my cell phone within earshot of the bedroom, but I did last night.  Second, late night calls are always a wrong number, I assume someone looking for drugs or a hooker. So, even though it rang, I didn't bother to answer.

Then, this morning I checked to see who called: Kelsey at 2:20AM. Crap! At my age I'm supposed to smile and think, "that crazy kid!" Instead I'm thinking the worst.

My daughter recently got back the results of her Medical College Admission Test and she did pretty darn well. So, I'm thinking, wow, good MCAT score, got a new car last week, I hope she wasn't out drinking and driving, picked up, and spending a night in jail! I tried calling her at 7:30 this morning, a Saturday, a time when no self-respecting college kid is up. No answer. Sure hope she's not in jail, poor thing. Sent a text. Same time. No answer. Same worry.

Finally around 10:30 I got confirmation it was an accident. Probably butt dialing. She assured me she doesn't drink and drive. And that's when it struck me: Aren't I supposed to be over this?? Am I not old enough, wise enough, my daughter not proven herself careful enough, to stop with the worry already? Oh well, I'm just glad to know it was an accident. After all, worried as I was, I'm not a worrier by nature.

But wait a minute. Who was she with when that phone went off by accident, and what were they doing, and..........

1 comment: